The Main Library of Poznan University of Medical Sciences was founded in 1952. It was created on the basis of the collection of the former Library of the Faculty of Medicine, existing since 1947. Before 1984 The Main Library occupied one of the floors of the building at 10 Sieroca St. and in 1985 it moved to its own premises at 2 Parkowa St.|
In 1952 the library system consisted of The Main Library and 42 department libraries. In 1971-1974 organizational changes were carried out. Ten new branches were created. They were established on the basis of some department and clinical libraries. Further reorganization of library system continued in the following years. Most of the branch libraries were changed into institute libraries. In addition two faculty libraries were created - the library of Faculty of Pharmacy and of Faculty of Nursing (now Faculty of Health Sciences).